**The application period for this position has closed.**
Central Vermont Humane Society is seeking a dedicated individual willing to roll up his/her sleeves and provide excellent care for our animals while matching them with their new homes. Prior animal care and customer service experience is required. Candidates must be flexible, motivated team players, unafraid of hard work, and committed to the well-being of companion animals. A solid work ethic, an outgoing personality, excellent communication skills and a sense of humor are a must.
Position Description: Adoption Counselor
Primary responsibilities are to enhance the welfare of all CVHS animals through excellent care, enrichment, outreach, and adoption.
Shelter & General Care
- Perform routine housekeeping duties necessary for the optimal cleanliness and sanitation of all animal quarters and other routine and special assignments to maintain the shelter appearance and presentation
- Schedule and perform relinquishment and stray appointments
- Provide food, water, medication, care, exercise, and enrichment in a manner necessary to improve the overall health and comfort of animals
- Monitor supply levels and make proper requests for purchases or maintenance
- Transport animals to and from veterinary appointments or animal transfers as needed
- Perform duties related to:
- Evaluating and preparing animals for adoption
- Successfully marketing animals for adoption
- Successfully matching animals with appropriate adoptive homes, including completing adoption paperwork, and providing the adopters with counseling and education
- Customer service for the Adoption Center and Shelter (phones, guests, etc.)
- Follow up on adoptions to ensure that animals have been placed in appropriate homes, and provide support and advice for the adopters
- Maintain animal information in PetPoint database and other required paperwork in a way that ensures all information is communicated appropriately to staff and adopters
- Act as a resource for visitors and volunteers regarding pet information.
- Maintain clear adoption signage on all adoption areas and properly label all animals with identification
- Facilitate offsite adoptions (Petsmart, Agway, etc.) as necessary
Behavior and Health
- Communicate recommendations for proper options for animals to other staff and Options Committee
- Provide enrichment and training opportunities for shelter animals, including communicating to staff and volunteers the daily or ongoing needs of each animal
- Monitor all signs of illness, establishing and implementing treatment criteria with the Medical Team, as required
- Assist with animal check-in’s/medical care as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Position Details and Conditions:
- Please review the checklist for physical activities and requirements, visual acuity, and working conditions for this position, available during interview process
- Reports to Adoption Center Manager
- Schedule: Generally Tuesdays through Fridays from 10 am to 5:30 pm, and Saturdays from 9 am to 4:30 pm. (~35 hours per week)
- Full time position with health insurance and other benefits available
- Full time, hourly position. Pay: $9-$11/hour, DOE
- Generalized computer and database proficiency
- Minimum of 1 year of professional experience in animal care
- Minimum of 2 years of customer service experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of animal handling and behavior
- Valid driver’s license required
- Letter of interest
- Contact information for 3 professional references
- In 100 to 300 words, please write a description of a real dog or cat that you have met but don’t know well (neighbor’s or friend’s dog, etc.), as though you were making the animal available for adoption and advertising the animal on www.cvhumane.com. Include a photo of the animal.
Please send the information listed above to Anne Ward at: email@example.com, or CVHS Attn: Anne, PO Box 687, Montpelier, VT 05601. Position open until filled.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted or contacted.
- Please format documents as .doc or .pdf
- Phone calls about this position will not be accepted or returned